Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Happy Birthday, Gramps!

Today Gramps hits his lucky year- double 7's.
Parker and I called him this morning. Parker has been singing "Happy Birthday" since he heard it in the dining room several times on our cruise.
Gramps didn't get the whole song from Parker this morning, but he got the jest of it.

If I had one person in the whole world who I would say was my hero, I'd say Gramps.
He is constantly doing for everyone else and wants nothing in return (and will not take anything in return).
I remember we gave him an Outback Steakhouse gift card once for a thank you gift and he took us to eat with it! Seriously. I would have gone and had a been nice meal if that had been me! (Wait, did I just admit that out loud!)

He also has a TON of wisdom, but ever gives it to you without you asking for it first. And even when you do ask for it, he lets you make the decision on your own. If you decide to do opposite of what he says, he doesn't judge you; he still loves you no matter what.

Gramps (& Granny) have contributed so much to my life- they make me who I am today. They ALWAYS supported me throughout all of my business endeavors: selling cokes at the garage sales, selling aluminum cans that their neighbors saved for me, A&B Bakery, dog grooming Business, sno-cone stands and those are just to name a few.
Oh and I remember one time specifically Gramps called me at Granny's house one day when he was at work. He told me he had a business idea for me. Of course, being the entrepreneur that I am, I was extremely excited to hear about it. When he got home from work that day he took me to the store and bought me a set of number stencils, a can of white spray paint and a can of black spray paint. I was now in business to paint numbers on curbs at houses. I can't remember specifically but probably someone had come around and was charging over $20 to spruce up curb numbers so I probably charged $5 or so to do the same job... granted I was in elementary school. All I had to do was one house to cover my costs and then it was straight profit. :)

I have a lot of great memories with Gramps: lost in downtown New York City on our 2 week trip, riding the church bus at Oak View, borrowing his pager when he was off work for his surgery, yearly trips to Whitchita Falls, firing him at least once a week when he worked for me at my second sno cone stand, "dancing" with him at my wedding, he and Parker playing in his van and those are just a few.

Gramps, if you're reading this, I hope you had a great birthday today and here's to 77 more!
You're the best! I love you!



No comments: