Wednesday, December 8, 2010

I just got home from the Brazos Valley Food Drive that KBTX (our local tv station) hosts each year. This was the first year that I volunteered at it... thanks to Junior League. :)
What a phenomenal thing to volunteer at!
Yes, it was cold... especially since I had left my pea coat at work this afternoon.
Yes, I wore tons of layers of clothes.
Yes, I visited Starbucks at Target & also drank a hot chocolate from Sonic.
Yes, I LOVED warming up next to the propane heater.
BUT
MOST
OF
ALL
I
LOVED
SEEING
OUR
COMMUNITY
COME
TOGETHER
FOR
SUCH
A
GREAT
CAUSE
.
There were people from all walks of life: lawyers, Car Clubs, people driving cars that may loose a tire on the way home, senior citizens, TONS of children with their parents, surgeons, gang bangers,UPS drivers, people driving fancy cars, college students.
You name it. We saw it.
It was very moving. Even as I'm typing this, I get teary eyed.
We (really I'm talking about ME) all get so wrapped up in buying gifts for this person and that person and updating our own Christmas list, when there are people who don't even know where their next meal is coming from, they don't have warm clothes, or a house to sleep in.

As your stressing out about who to eat Christmas lunch with, how you're going to buy your child that $300 game system, annoyed with your child for changing their requests for Santa multiple times, ask yourself if what you're stressing about even slightly compares to the stress that others are facing?
Let's not forget the true meaning of Christmas.
Jesus
is
the
Reason.
Don't forget to let HIM be seen through you, especially during this time of year!

No comments: